Aerospace & Defense
Over 90% of the world's commercial and military aircraft rely on our custom engineered components and sealing assemblies.
Greene Tweed is the recognized leader in high-performance solutions for Aerospace and Defense.
Greene Tweed has over 50 years of experience in the Aerospace industry, backed by our portfolio of industry leading elastomer, thermoplastic, and thermoplastic composite materials. We are experts in designing and developing innovative solutions for landing gear systems, flight control systems and engines, hydraulic utility systems, brake systems, fuel systems, and more.
Expert Application Engineering
Advanced Seals for Demanding Applications
Aerospace and Defense sealing systems are designed to efficiently transfer energy, keep fluids in, contaminants out, and prevent components from wearing out in harsh environments.
Seals can be one component all the way up to multiple components and materials. However, most seals rely on elastomer contacting the hardware or plastic contacting the hardware. More information on the types of seals we offer is available on our interactive catalog.
Metal Strength at a Fraction of the Weight
Greene Tweed has a long history of developing high-performance thermoplastic and composite components for a broad range of critical Aerospace and Defense applications, using PAEK or other high-end thermoplastic matrix materials.
Greene Tweed thermoplastic and composite structural components benefits include:
- Lightweight, high-performance alternative to metal parts, components, and assemblies
- Reduced part complexity and cost by combining multiple assembled components into one molded part
- Superior strength-to-weight ratio in demanding environments
Aerospace & Defense Resources
Product Portfolio Catalog
MSE® Seals - Versatile Sealing Performance
Xycomp® DLF Composites for Rotocraft
The Benefits Of Xycomp® Discontinuous Long Fiber (DLF ™) Composites
L-Cap™ Seal Data Sheet
Versatile Sealing and Scraping for Demanding Aerospace Environments
MSE® metal spring energized seals are custom designed with a dual-lip body for superior performance in the most demanding conditions.
- High pressure or low pressure requirements, from vacuum up to 30,000 psi (2,070 bar) plus
- Large temperature variation, Cryogenic to 550°F (288°C)
- Critical friction requirements
- Critical wear and life requirements
Greene Tweed’s low-friction, ultra-durable rod and piston seals offer an outstanding combination of easy installation, low leakage, and longer service life for exceptional performance in static and dynamic sealing applications.
- Applications include actuators, flight controls, and landing gear
- Improved gland stability
- Reduced friction, efficient lubrication leading to longer seal life
- Retrofits existing glands
- Reduced seal roll and spiral failure
Superior Strength-to-Weight Ratio
Interior and exterior aerospace brackets withstand extreme temperatures, repetitive use, and more. That’s the challenge you face — and the one we’re uniquely equipped to tackle.
- Aerospace-grade carbon fiber pre-preg tape (AS4/PEEK, PEKK, PEI)
- Application weight savings of 35-50%
- OEM and Tier 1 supplier approvals (incl. GE, Rolls Royce, Pratt & Whitney, Collins Aerospace, Safran)
- Excellent impact performance thermal stability, chemical and environmental resistance
Reliable Performance at 40,000 Feet
Greene Tweed has developed molded composite parts for improved mechanics and resistance to hail impact, erosion, bird-strike, and FST (fire, smoke, toxicity).
- Typically 35-40% lighter than metallic parts
- Proprietary compression molding for increased part complexity and performance
- Resistance to extreme chemicals, temperature, and impact